John Holmes, Count Chocula and cereal porn, Richard Simmons, Matthew McConaughey's age, misogyny, and Chad's recent gift of a 1986 Pontiac Fiero are all discussed this week as we talk about Richard Linklater's, Dazed and Confused.
Warning: Spoilers, adult humor, and harsh language ahead. Listen at your own risk.
2DudeReview - Episode 15: Dazed and Confused
- Discuss site, Twitter, etc.
Ia. Our bet for the picture
II. First Impressions of Dazed and Confused
III. Origin & tidbits
- Richard Linklater's intent was for this film to be an inverse of a John Hughes.
- The line "alright, alright, alright" is Matthew McConaughey's first spoken line on camera in his career. He ad-libbed it based on Jim Morrison saying it on a live version of "Roadhouse Blues".
- McConaughey based Wooderson on his brother.
- Off camera Pickman (Shawn Andrews) and Pink (Jason London) didn't get along and Richard Linklater had to break up a fight between them. That's why Wooderson ended up with Pink going to get Aerosmith tickets at the end instead of Pickford. Also, this is why Pickford and Pink have very little dialogue throughout the movie.
- Andrews and Mila Jovovich eloped during filming but it was annulled because Jovovich was underage.
- The stars constructed their own paddles.
- Vince Vaughn audtioned for Benny but didn't get it because he looked too similar to Ben Affleck.
- Renee Zellweger audtioned and was given an uncredited role of Nesi White.
- Claire Danes tried out for Sabrina but Linklater found her "too classy" for the role.
- Quentin Tarantino listed it as the 10th best film of all time.
- Roger Ebert said, "the film is art crossed with antropology."
- In 2004, three of Richard Linklater's former classmates from Hunstville High School, Bobby Wooderson, Andy Slater, and Richard Floyd filed a defamation lawsuit. The suit was dismissed due to statue of limitations.
- Most the cast drank beer during filming.
- One-sixth of the budget went towards acquiring rights for the music.
- Led Zeppelin refused permission to use "Rock and Roll" in the movie.
- The KISS statues were purchased by Gene Simmons.
IV. Points to discuss
- The importance of the soundtrack. Is it one of the best soundtracks of all time?
Dazed and Confused:
1. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" Rick Derringer 3:44
2. "Slow Ride" (Single version) Foghat 3:58
3. "School's Out" Alice Cooper 3:29
4. "Jim Dandy" Black Oak Arkansas 2:42
5. "Tush" ZZ Top 2:17
6. "Love Hurts" Nazareth 3:53
7. "Stranglehold" Ted Nugent 8:24
8. "Cherry Bomb" The Runaways 2:19
9. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:26
10. "Low Rider" War 3:13
11. "Tuesday's Gone" Lynyrd Skynyrd 7:32
12. "Highway Star" Deep Purple 6:08
13. "Rock and Roll All Nite" KISS 2:57
14. "Paranoid" Black Sabbath 2:47
Even More Dazed and Confused:
1. "Free Ride" Edgar Winter Group 3:08
2. "No More Mr. Nice Guy" Alice Cooper 3:07
3. "Livin' in the USA" The Steve Miller Band 4:05
4. "Never Been Any Reason" Head East 5:12
5. "Why Can't We Be Friends?" War 3:51
6. "Summer Breeze" Seals and Crofts 3:25
7. "Right Place, Wrong Time" Dr. John 2:54
8. "Balinese" ZZ Top 2:39
9. "Lord Have Mercy On My Soul" Black Oak Arkansas 6:14
10. "I Just Want to Make Love to You" Foghat 4:19
11. "Show Me the Way" Peter Frampton 4:41
12. "Do You Feel Like We Do" Peter Frampton 7:13
- Is there a point/plot to the movie?
- Do the social classes we discussed last week in The Breakfast Club exist in Dazed and Confused?
- Do we agree with Roger Ebert that McConaughey's Wooderson is the most pathetic character in the film?
V. How rotten is Dazed and Confused? Dazed and Confused was given an % by Rotten Tomatoes. Do the following films fall higher or lower than %?
VI. Mention next film, plus reiterate the Web site and social media feeds
VII. Final Grade of A-F
Chad's Grade: A
Brian's Grade: A
Karina's Grade: C-